Thursday, October 14, 2010

A History of Rap

For many people, music is a major part of life. I've always loved music of all kinds. When I was 16, driving my Nissan 300ZX, I would migrate from Tupac to Alabama to Def Leppard. I still find myself enjoying various types of music, from folk and country to alternative and rap. I love the way music can change your mood, take you back to a certain time or place in your life, or just help you to lose yourself in the rhythm. One of my favorite things is to hang out in a chill place and listen to some good live music while enjoying a tasty beverage.

So, while I was in Knoxville Tennessee a couple weeks ago on a work assignment, I decided to drive to Gatlinburg. I grew up taking trips there from Alabama, but it had been years since I'd visited. I was curious as to how I would react to the place, which is an entirely different story. I took a long route back to the hotel that night, just enjoying the crisp night air, with the windows rolled down, listening to music. During that drive, one of the radio stations played a clip from a recent Jimmy Fallon episode and I was blown away. It was a rendition by Fallon and his guest, Justin Timberlake, doing their own "History of Rap." I had to watch and listen to it in it's entirety as soon as possible. I was amazed by the fact these guys were able to sound so good singing these tunes, and even more amazed that I couldn't tell the two apart on the radio. Take the time to watch this clip.....maybe the tunes will 'jog' some good memories for you!


1 comment:

  1. Nice sweet mix up by those guys. Got to wonder how long they worked that.

    ReplyDelete